Eliminating waiting this way is the low hanging fruit in improving the speed that a board can be made. To date I've had to wait for epoxy for the core material (planks of layers), inserts, rails so at least 3 x 10 hour waits.
This time I'm going to try to kit it Bro-style
First things first, the templates for the board and the rocker table. I used 16mm MDF cause its cheap and dense.
|Rocker table jigs|
|Board Jig surrounded by perspex sheet to be used for clamping|
The core is going to be 6mm thick so the 4mm perspex will ensure that these mold pieces done' interfere with the glass bonding to the rails.
Next up is prebuilding the inserts. Again recycled perspex to the rescue. I cut a piece of 6mm perspex lengthways, pushed them back together and clamped them in place then used 16mm and 25 speed bores to drill the holes centered on the lengthwise split. But 'gluing' pieces back together with silicone sealant I created the moulds for pouring the inserts. I used a bit of mould release but it probably wasn't needed.
I mixed up 40gms of epoxy and but a very small amount of q-cell in it just o discolour it because I am using the M6 stainless steel locking flange nuts for the footstrap inserts and I didn't want them to be too visible. I filled the nuts with wax and washed them in isopropyl alcohol to get any contaminants off.
I need to use these nuts as the board is only going to be 6mm thick and so the bolts will need to go all the way through the board to avoid the risk of delaminating the glass underneath the inserts and to provide enough thread for the bolts to get a good grip on.
Then I placed masking tape on the underside of the mould plastic to create the complete mould and poured the footstrap inserts and also the fin inserts all in one hit.
|M6 Stainless Locking flag nuts encased in epoxy in the mould|
When it had all cured the inserts popped out easily and the mould is entirely reusable after a bit of fresh silicon is used.
There is some extra meat on the inserts ( I purposely over-filled them) so that then can be sanded back to rough them up for better bonding. The wax stops the epoxy getting into the thread and avoids the need to re-tap the thread.
So now I've got the inserts that can be placed in at layup time and I can make them whenever to build up a stockpile.
Net step will be cut the core pieces and the rails.