I decided to build the core up our of 6mmx100mm Paulownina planks instead of starting with a thicker core and cutting and routing it into shape. I don't have particularly good tools to work with so for this board at least I'm trying to minimise the work.
Tonight I stuck the planks together (told you it was a small step!). I had intended to slice them into 50mm widths and mix them up to average out the weakness in the wood by shuffling the planks but the strip cutter that I used for balsa previously wasn't up to the job of cutting the much denser Paulownia. So instead I decided just to work with what I've got until I can put together a small table saw to make sure I mill the planks perfectly.
So, the first thing I did was to squeeze the planks together and put masking tape on one side of the board. The idea is to use the tape as a hinge to make it easier to get the epoxy into the join and stop the resin flowing away.
|Tape hinges to retain glue and apply some initial pressure to the join.|
Found an extra use for the angle iron of the rocker table. With the angle iron piece used to support the center jig I squeezed the planks tightly together. I put the tool box on top so that when I tightened the ratchet strap it put pressure down on the MDF board templates its sitting on at the same time as the strap squeezes the planks together and so that the freshly glued joints where nice and tight.
Next step is to cut out the layers using the router. First time using one so should be interesting!!!